We invite marketing, advertising, business, social science, and humanities scholars from all backgrounds to join with our hosts from Carleton University at the Westin Hotel, Ottawa for a friendly, collegial, and interdisciplinary research conference. We call on scholars from around the globe to cast a critical look on all aspects of the history of marketing. In 2019 we particularly, but not exclusively, invite papers exploring how marketing has contributed to the construction of identities. From positioning itself as a discipline to building brand and corporate identity, from building national and regional identities to building consumer identity, marketing has exerted influence in every sphere.
Both individual papers and entire panels on all aspects of marketing history, historic marketing, advertising history, and the history of marketing thought in all geographic areas and across all time frames are welcome. In accord with the conference theme, we welcome papers that both examine the history of marketing as a discipline and also critically draw on marketing as a source in reconstructing the past.
Topics may include but are not exclusively restricted to the following:
• Marketing pioneers, the development and evolution of the marketing discipline
• Varieties of marketing cultures and histories;
• Writing the past: constructing histories in/for marketing;
• Exploring the role of relationships and networks in marketing;
• Marketing in the projection of national and regional identities.
• Branding and brand development;
• Marketing to marginalized demographics
• Marketing research;
• Marketing history “from below” – how consumers and citizens respond to and interact with firms and brands;
• Marketing thought and theory;
• Distribution and packaging;
• Marketing segments and targeting;
• Sector case studies, for example beauty and fashion marketing, transportation, leisure, etc.;
• Feminism and marketing
We also encourage submissions that discuss methodological, pedagogical and historiographical questions in marketing.
For more information go the the conference website: CHARM 2019.