Theme 1 “Language and Learning: Corpus, Cognition and Genesis of works”
Coordinators: Freiderikos VALETOPOULOS (PR, FORELL) and Anna POTOCKI (MCF, CERCA)
The 1st axis aims to question the processes and representations involved in the use of written, oral and signed language, both on receptive and production sides, as well as in learning. The central question of the work of the axis is that of the relations between language and thought which will be approached in both directions of the relation: the constraints that the language imposes but also how the context determines the use that is made of the linguistic representations. All the research projects of the axis will thus aim at clarifying this relation and at examining these constraints such as can be observed at the individual, situational, and linguistic levels.
The projects of the axis are divided into two parts with three programs each.
The first part “Tools” aims to provide a critical look at the tools used for the study of language. It consists of three projects:
- Evolution of the Eye & Pen program. This project aims to develop a module allowing, along with the recordings of the writing, the realization and the recording of a secondary task like the detection of sound stimulus.
- Study, digitize and exploit « Corpus d’Auteurs in Nouvelle Aquitaine » (Corpuses of Authors in the region of Nouvelle Aquitaine, which funds the project). This project has two purposes: to give visibility to already existing digital projects in the Nouvelle-Aquitaine region, by supporting them in order to increase the number of available resources, and to develop other projects by sharing practices, sharing solutions and tools and also through training.
- DysApp: Detect and support dyslexic and dyspraxic students through a video game (project funded by PIA e-FRAN). This project aims to develop and evaluate the effectiveness of a digital tool to train children’s fine motor skills, in order to study the links between motor skills and written language in children, having or not learning disabilities (e.g. dyslexia, dyspraxia).
The second part is built around three axes which aim to interrogate linguistic data and to suggest applications for the purpose of, among other things, teaching languages to native or non-native learners. The three axes concern the development of the lexicon as a function of individual and linguistic constraints, the production context, and more precisely the relationship between oral and written language, and finally emotions, both in terms of verbalization and in terms of influencing factors on learning and verbal production:
- Analysis and development of the lexicon according to individual and linguistic constraints. As part of this project, a transdisciplinary study will be suggested bringing together linguistic, psycholinguistic and didactic approaches. The lexicon will be addressed not only as an object of analysis but also as an object of teaching and learning through the study of different languages and language statutes, French as first and second language and the LSF (French sign language).
- Production context: relationship between oral and written language. This project focuses on the relationship between oral and written language as contexts of production. The research focuses on different audiences such as the LSF users but also the learners of FLE (French as foreign language).
- Emotion and language production: This project will bring together the work carried out as part of a transdisciplinary approach confronting the work of linguists, psycholinguists and didacticians through the learning of the emotional lexicon by L1 / L2 learners. A project funded by the Nouvelle-Aquitaine Region is included in this project.
[Translation : Melody Araujo Martins]